[Dfey-nw-discuss] Open Source Schools Unconference

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Open Source Schools Unconference
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 20:01:22 +0100

On Monday, Becta the organisation which advises Secondary schools and Primary schools on it's use of IT is hosting it's first Open Source Schools Unconference.

I've known about this for quite a while but other things have taken centre stage so it hadn't properly registered up until a few days ago.

This *IS* the best place to meet teachers and educational IT staff and organisations sympathetic to the issues we encounter on regular basis.

DFEY as a group has been invited to the conference and I, personally, have volunteered to do a short talk/discussion about DFEY and the issues young people face today.

Coming to the Unconference as part of DFEY doesn't imply or require you to talk or anything.

Anyway the key information:

When: 10:00-16:00, Monday 20th July
Where: Nottingham, NCSL's Conference Centre
Who: as many people involved in DFEY as possible.
How: I can probably arrange a lift for 3 people max, from the centre of Manchester on Monday morning, though if you can make your own way there you will be really welcome to attend.

What: http://opensourceschools.org.uk/unconference09

Notes with regards to transport:

Unfortunately, as I missed talking to the organisers about funding for travel in any reasonable time, things haven't worked out how I had hoped. I'm really sorry about this, it's a tough lesson to learn and I've learnt it.

Anyway, thankfully, Alex Sykes - www.alexsykes.net - volunteered on request of the organisers to take 3 of us to the event from central Manchester - he will be traveling down anyway.

If there are 3 people in the Manchester area interested in going, I will happily get the train (at my own cost).

If you are interested in going, I suggest posting to the list as soon as possible and we'll see how many are interested.

This is one of the best chances to talk to teachers and IT staff about what you do/don't enjoy about your experiences of the use of computers in education.

Cheers everyone!

Tim