Re: [Denemo-devel] Help! Keyboard problems

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Help! Keyboard problems
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2018 17:59:08 +0000

On Fri, 2018-12-07 at 16:34 +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> [...]
> for example if you run the command Score->Comment you get an editor
> for
> writing a comment on the score. Does this receive and display the
> correct key strokes?
>
> Richard
>
> Done. The correct keys are displayed in the command Score->Comment,
> whatever the fr or US keyboard used.

Yes, switching the physical keyboard will not have an effect because it
seems that the only difference is what is written on the key tops,
electronically and mechanically they are the same device.
This bit is a good clue:

> key: 1 message: ampersand is not a shortcut
>      2          eacute is not a shorcut
>      A          q is not a shortcut
>      Q          a change /append A !!!

The A key on an azerty keyboard is in the position of the Q on a querty
keyboard. Likewise the 2 key on a querty keyboard is labelled eacute on
an azerty one. (I'm looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AZERTY for
this information).

So what is going on is that the standard widgets (like the Score
Comment text editor) are interpreting the key presses as coming from a
querty keyboard while the input to the Denemo Display (or Edit Window
as it is often called) is being interpreted as if it is coming from an
azerty keyboard. This is plausible, since the keyboard interaction with
the Denemo Display is custom Denemo code. (That is so that key
shortcuts can be set for entering music, rather than text). However,
there have been no changes to that code since the version 2.1 that you
were using under Ubuntu 16.04 so it seems that Ubuntu 18.04 has changed
some of the information it is delivering to Denemo when a key is
pressed which is not affecting standard widgets like the Score Comment
but is affecting the interpretation by the Denemo Display. This is not
completely implausible because the information sent to the program
after a keypress includes some redundancy.
I have tested the AppImage under a live Distro of Ubuntu 18.04, but it
probably had a US keyboard setup - I'll re-test to see if I can
reproduce your problem.