Re: [Denemo-devel] Help! Keyboard problems

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Help! Keyboard problems
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 08:57:50 +0000

On Sun, 2018-12-09 at 21:29 +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> Thanks for the answer, but infortunately same problems remain with
> the upgraded version.
> Strict shorcuts not checked:
> key 1 message ampersand is not a shorcut
>     2         eacute inas
>     q         a change/append A
>     a         q inas
> Strict shorcuts activated:
>     1 _mod2_1 inas
>     2 _mod2_2 inas
>     q _Mod2_q inas
>     a _mod2_a inas
> The same with Capslock used. I have no numeric keypad on my notebook.

Well, the good news is that I believe I have solved the problem of
mixed-keyboards (by avoiding the use of the call to get the default
keymap).
There is a knock on effect: users who have their own shortcuts (this
may include everyone not starting to use Denemo for the first time)
will need to re-make the Numeric Keypad shortcuts - old names like Add
become KP_Add and so on. *And* the shortcuts for 7,8,9 on the numeric
keypad now require the numlock - alternatively you can re-set the
commands they invoke so that un-numlocked 7,8,9 invoke them. The slight
bonus is you can have numlocked and un-numlocked 7,8,9 do different
things now.

What is perhaps better news is that I now understand how to test other
keyboards - I see that the standard French keyboard does not give
durations for the top row keys - that is, 1 gives ampersand etc.
Would it be useful if Denemo detected the keymap in use and selected
the shortcuts to suit?
Or is it still possible to enter durations via a single keypress with a
French keymap? I couldn't figure out how it is done...

Having said all that a MIDI keyboard and a cheap usb pc keyboard with
numeric keypad is much the fastest way of entering music :)

The code is in git now and a new AppImage is at

http://www.denemo.org/~rshann/denemo_2.2.x.AppImage

Let me know if this does not do what you were hoping.

Richard
PS a bonus - if you hit a wrong key (thinking it is right) and then hit
it again (because you are sure it is right) then Denemo will pop up the
explanatory window saying what is wrong.