Re: [Denemo-devel] 29March version; keyboard "errors"

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] 29March version; keyboard "errors"
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2018 12:34:27 +0100

On Fri, 2018-03-30 at 13:42 +0100, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
> Under Windows 10
>
> Tried using the keyboard/keypad a bit more.
>
> Keyboard 4 does not work.
yes, that one has a currency symbol (euro) on a GB keyboard ...

>  5, 6 do. 7 and 8 create and extend slurs.
> 9 is a progressive "move back one note"
You're missing the point here, 7,8,9 are a system for entering slurs,
what 9 is doing is reducing the slur from the end, so you can create
and adjust slurs progressively as you work through a piece. The 9 is
only failing to do anything very useful because you weren't on the end
of a slur when you tried it.

> Shift 0,1,2,3,5,6, change length of note. Shift 4 fails.
>
> Keypad: Numlock on
>
> 01234569 work as expected
> 7 has no effect

7 is the triplet rhythm creator, e.g. try 3 7 7 and you get a triplet
of quavers (the 3), with Control they are slurred. This is all for
entering rhythms rhythmically (three keypresses to enter a triplet).
9 should be creating a dotted rhythm (so 1 9 gives you a dotted-
minim+crotchet rhythm in two keypresses to match the number of notes in
the rhythm).

> 8 seems to repeat the previous notes in the bar

yes, 8 fills out the bar with the rhythmic pattern so far, and KP_Enter
should repeat the last duration to fill out the bar, both of these
duplicate the bar if the bar is already full. Again these are for
entering rhythms quickly (but in this case, not rhythmically).
Unfortunately Windows Vista seems to intercept the Enter key on the
numeric keypad and turn it into the same as the Return key, so that is
not useful (but you could set the Return key to perform the
 Notes/Rests->Note Insertion->Fill Measure command if you were using
the numeric keypad to enter rhythms).

You may find it easier to figure out what is going on with your
keyboard by setting Edit->Change Preferences->Command Behavior->Show
Shortcuts Used which will then give you a running commentary on
everything Denemo thinks you are doing. And a quick way of turning that
on is to press Esc followed by some key that is *not* a shortcut.

Thanks for the feedback - I got the currency symbol problem out of the
way, but Shift-A is now Shft-Aacute :(

Still working on it...