Re: [Denemo-devel] MIDI in on windows binaries

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] MIDI in on windows binaries
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 17:28:33 +0000

On Wed, 2012-12-26 at 08:44 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> On 12/21/2012 08:48 AM, Richard Shann wrote:
> > On Thu, 2012-12-20 at 14:10 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> >> When was the last time you were able to see your MIDI keyboard?
> > Of the versions I have 0.9.5rc6 has MIDI in working. In that version
> > under MIDI backend there is a drop down selector with PortMidi in it and
> > below that Input and Output selectors both set at default - the Input
> > one drops down to show my midi controller.
>
> Since that release I have I have created subdirectories inside portmidi
> to contain the platform specific portmidi code. Maybe I should our own
> separate portmidi tarbal so that gub will (hopefully) barf if linking
> does not happen.
>
> > With version 1.0rc1 the MIDI backend is followed by only one drop down
> > selector showing "none" with no other options available. Running that
> > version I see a message like "denemo:**Warning** PortMidi backend not
> > enabled".
>
> Thats strange. the portmidi code is compiling. Unfortunately gub is not
> giving me much in the logs and I have no way of testing this stuff for
> windows except in wine. I will try and do some more compiling and
> testing today. Are you sure you don't need to run that java
> configuration utility?
I tried that, but it doesn't help, and the fact that portmidi doesn't
appear in the drop down list surely means that portmidi just isn't
there, and so whether it would need pmdefaults the java config utility
is not even getting tested yet - you could write something out that
would definitively tell us if portmidi code is actually in the binary -
just a
printf("port midi function %p\n", name-of-some-portmidi-function)

would either not compile or print out at run time.

> > Things are similar with the denemo-1.0.0.~rc.3 though I didn't spot that
> > message, but there is a vast amount of debug (the command loading stuff)
> > which would be better turned off.
>
> Ok. I will turn that off.

great.
I tried looking for the flag that the compiler needs to tell it to run
without popping up a terminal but I couldn't find it in my notes (it
would be on an old windows partition that I don't have access to,
somewhere). (I was forgetting that this LilyPond terminal is the other
showstopper we have for a release.)

Richard