Re: [Denemo-devel] Tab question again

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Tab question again
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 08:48:16 +0000

On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 12:30 -0800, Ken Restivo wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 09:58:35PM +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> > I have gone thru these steps with my current version and it is not only

> > And I have Tablature in my menu at the moment, and it does exactly what
> > you describe it used to do for you...
> >

> I just updated to latest git today, 0.8.23, and, there is no Tab in the Staff
> menu.

I am not sure if it is in any of the choices that you get if you have
no .denemo, except of course for the All Commands choice - I have just
checked and it is in there. But, unless you got rid of your .denemo
(more specifically got rid of ~/.denemo/actions/Default.commands) then
it should not have vanished, assuming it was there before.

> Nor is the wrench icon showing up on this file that has the scheme code
> pasted in manually,
???this file that has???
>  nor is it actually emitting the lilypond to print tab, nor printing tab.
> Same exact problem.
>
> However, I was able to install the TabStaff command into the command set by
> going to manage command set, load a custom command set. Kind of complicated,
> but it works! The command is now there in the menu, I tried it, I got wrench
> icons, and the tab now prints. For now.
>
> I'm a little nervous since I'm not sure what exactly caused it to stop
> working last time, but for now, all is well.
>
> One more question: is there a way to have a "shadow" staff, where I could
> edit the notes in say G clef, but have a shadow staff that was tab, and would
> print the t the G clef *and* the tab on separate staffs, but linked to each
> other? I don't know if that makes any sense.
That would be one staff which on printing prints two staffs one in tab the
other not?
The Denemo route to this would be a PrintWithTab command which would

      * Mark the staff, select it all and copy it to clipboard
      * Create a new staff & paste
      * Issue d-TabStaff
      * Issue d-Print
      * Issue d-DeleteStaff
      * Restore the Saved state of the file

Would take a few minutes I guess. However what would happen with the
string indication stuff? If you put the string indication stuff on a
non-tab print does LilyPond barf? If you needed to hide all the string
indications for one staff and emit them for the other then that would
require stuff in Denemo to handle conditional directives - somewhere on
the todo list...

> That emitted tab looks so nice and clean and pro. Nice work.
That is LilyPond's doing, of course...

Richard