[Denemo-devel] Input Profiles

From: Nils Gey
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Input Profiles
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 13:26:29 +0100

Hello list,

While I still think the ultimate goal should be one keyboard profile for all
users (and developers) we can improve the situation until then.

I think the current profile names are getting in our way. They are named after
a rolemodel but this is misleading.
You can composer, arrange or do whatever in any profile. One user even mistook
them as hirachical profiles. "Once you are good enough you go one further".

We should either name them after what they do (but I can't think of such a
word) or give them abstract names.
"Simple" "Alpha" and "Beta" would be better names. At least the user gets the
correct impression here that "Alpha" and "Beta" are meaningless themselves and
there is more in that. Well, maybe not Alpha and Beta since these are release
releated words. But I think you get what I mean.

Nils

PS 1) I want to repeat myself again: I think the Classic and Lilypond profile
should be deleted. I checked them completely and they are 100% redundant.
Anything that can be done with them can be done with either Arranger or
Composer, but better. Even the current simple profile is far better than
Classic. These two are the ones that we don't even actively maintain. Anacrusis
is still in there, some keybindings are just mad (Shift+Left/Right to change
movement) and come from a time where there was no serious selection work
possible.
After reviewing those two profiles I can say with a clear conscience we do
everyone a favour by deleting them.

PS 2) As soon as possible we should give the user the possibility to change the
current commandset in Denemos preferences or in the keybindings dialog,
especially after choosing one.