Re: [Denemo-devel] Tab question again

From: Ken Restivo
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Tab question again
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 12:30:39 -0800

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 09:58:35PM +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> I have gone thru these steps with my current version and it is not only
> working but I can even undo the change to tab with the Undo command :)
> This will be in the next release.
>
> But to your problem...
>
> On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 13:22 -0800, Ken Restivo wrote:
> > Once again, I am trying to get tablature to work.
> >
> > I got it to work once, but it doesn't appear to be working anymore, maybe
> > I'm just following the steps incorrectly. I still have the same version,
> > haven't changed anything (git version from 2010-11-22).
> >
> > I put the insertion point inside a staff, then I open the "Show Scheme"
> > window, then I paste in:
> >
> > (d-DirectivePut-staff-postfix "TabStaff" "<< { \\new TabStaff\n")
> > (d-DirectivePut-staff-override "TabStaff" DENEMO_OVERRIDE_LILYPOND)
> > (d-DirectivePut-voice-postfix "TabStaff" " \n")
> > (d-DirectivePut-voice-override "TabStaff" DENEMO_OVERRIDE_LILYPOND)
> > (d-DirectivePut-clef-postfix "TabStaff" "{} \n")
> > (d-DirectivePut-clef-override "TabStaff" DENEMO_OVERRIDE_LILYPOND)
>
> I tried this (cutting and pasting from your email) and it worked. If you
> look in the console window you may see some message indicating something
> bad happened.
>

> > into the window, then I click "Execute Script".
> >
> > The last time I tried this, a month or so ago, the script put two little
> > wrench icons into the staff, and indeed it'd change the staff postfix to
> > TabStaff in the generated lilypond. But that's not happening. The script is
> > getting saved with the file, but it's not actually DOING anything.
> >
> This is what it is doing for me.
>
> > I tried adding
> That is you put a file named TabStaff in that directory (in
> e.g. /usr/.....share/denemo/actions.... or the equivalent place in
> ~/.denemo)
> AND you used the More Commands to pick up that file?
>
> > the command to actions/menus/ObjectMenu/StaffMenu/TabStaff as indicated in
> > http://denemo.org/index.php/Tablature ,
>
> >  but it kept telling me the script was invalid.
> When did you get exactly what message (on doing the More Commands) or
> after it appeared in the menu on clicking it?
>

> > I also tried "Update commands from internet", but it didn't actually grab
> > the TabStaff command into the downloads directory
>
> >  (grabbed a bunch of other commands, but not that one).
> you should see them under ~/.denemo .... downloads...actions.... right?
> I can see it in git. Possibly the mechanism for placing them on
> denemo.org has broken - it is a cron job I think. Jeremiah - can you
> check? Because I can see the file TabStaff in git alright.
>
> And I have Tablature in my menu at the moment, and it does exactly what
> you describe it used to do for you...

I just updated to latest git today, 0.8.23, and, there is no Tab in the Staff
menu.

Nor is the wrench icon showing up on this file that has the scheme code pasted
in manually, nor is it actually emitting the lilypond to print tab, nor
printing tab. Same exact problem.

However, I was able to install the TabStaff command into the command set by
going to manage command set, load a custom command set. Kind of complicated,
but it works! The command is now there in the menu, I tried it, I got wrench
icons, and the tab now prints. For now.

I'm a little nervous since I'm not sure what exactly caused it to stop working
last time, but for now, all is well.

One more question: is there a way to have a "shadow" staff, where I could edit
the notes in say G clef, but have a shadow staff that was tab, and would print
the t the G clef *and* the tab on separate staffs, but linked to each other? I
don't know if that makes any sense.

That emitted tab looks so nice and clean and pro. Nice work.

-ken