Re: [Denemo-devel] updated Makefile.am

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] updated Makefile.am
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 14:25:44 +0000

On Sun, 2008-12-14 at 08:44 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:

> > > Ok. I am still looking into this. Checkpitches now links like this:
> > >
> > >  CheckPitches -> ../../MainMenu/EntryMenu/MIDI/CheckPitches
> > >
> > > I copied actions into another folder using cp -a. It preserves the link.
> > > When I put this same command as a dist-hook in Makefile.am like this:
> > >
> > > dist-hook:
> > > cp -a $(srcdir)/actions $(distdir)
> > >
> > > It is turning the link into a copy.
> > Well, this need not be a showstopper - the actual number of bytes
> > (compared with everything else) is small...
> > >  I am not sure why it is doing this.
> > > I would think that this would do it. I am going to write to the automake
> > > mailing list
> > That's a good idea. This work of yours ties in with the stuff I've been
> > pushing to git on lazy loading of scheme. We want people to be able to
> > upgrade a command from a new release or from denemo.org just by right
> > clicking on the command. They may be looking at a different part of the
> > menu system when they do that, and now it should not matter.
>
> I wrote to the automake mailing list. They asked if it mattered if every
> target operating system supported the symlinks or not. They kind of
> advised against it. They did not tell me how to do it though. Would this
> break things for windows users?
Windows has a different sort of symlink system (called shortcuts, they
are files I think containing re-direction information), but the make
system has not been gotten working for windows in any case - I build
windows binaries using (basically) command line gcc on the source files,
and do the installation by using cp. I would not be fussy if I ended up
with copies rather than some sort of symlink in the windows installation
- its not a big deal. So, perhaps we should go for that on linux too, at
least as a start. But keep symlinks in the repository, because we only
want to modify one file to update a script.