Re: [Denemo-devel] updated Makefile.am

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] updated Makefile.am
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 08:16:01 -0600

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 08:32 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-12-10 at 10:13 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> > I updated Makefile.am to include CheckPitchs as a symlink into
> > educational. I read up on debian package management and found out as
> > long as you change this in the rules file everything is fine with out
> > install_data_hook from
> >
> > $(MAKE)
> >
> > to:
> >
> > $(MAKE) install DESTDIR=$(CURDIR)/debian/denemo
> >

> > This sets up a staging directory to temporarily install into while
> > making.
> Hmm, does this mean we cannot simply create symlinks below actions/menus
> and have them appear in the final installation?

I don't know if that would work. I can try it. I think I read somewhere
git supports symlinks.

> Would the procedure be
> to create the symlink and then add a line to denemo/Makefile.am?

They method I have seen documented is to create symlinks by placing a
line in denemo/Makefile.am. Then the link is created on a make install.
./autogen.sh and ./configure needs to be run first though. this is not
big deal unless we are creating script files every day that require
symlinks. Then it would be painful to go through these hoops.

> If so, perhaps we could have a script to run to fix things up when
> installing a symlink?

I just spent 2 days writing a script to recursively generate
Makefiles.am's in the actions directory. Then I stumbled on this
$DESTDIR that is used for staging that would work with are
install_data_hook. Oh well. I learned alot about bash scripting in the
process so it was not all for not.

> > I also updated src/Makefile.am to include all the scheme related .h
> > files that were not there before.
> I haven't done a fresh installation in ages - was it broken until now?

These files were not being included when you type in:

make dist

There are now. I am preparing things to be packaged up. I don't know how
close we are to release but I just wanted to make sure everything is all
set up and ready to go when we get there.

Jeremiah