Re: [Denemo-devel] Unreadable files after save

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Unreadable files after save
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:38:46 +0000

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 09:12 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> > We are about to release 0.7.8 which is just done as a tarball of the
> > source - it would be nice if we could release a .deb package but I don't
> > know how that's done. If anyone knows what is needed/can do please say!
> > I notice that LilyPond comes as a shell script with all the neccessary
> > libraries embedded so that it can be installed entirely in user-space -
> > I don't know how that is done either.
>
> I have done that once before. I would have to review this. Would we
> create a sources.list entry? I know as an ubuntu user I am very lazy and
'Fraid I don't know what a sources.list is!
> rarely install any .deb that is not in apt. I add to my sources.list for
> some programs though.
The thing the LilyPond installer does allows the program to be
independent of the installed versions of gtk and anything else - and can
be installed by a user as opposed to requiring root permission (and
indeed this in turn would avoid the remote possibility of someone
creating a malicious LilyPond source that would use the scheme
interpreter...). If Ubuntu is picking up new releases reasonably quickly
then perhaps we needn't worry, though why I can't see 0.7.7 on the
Debian site I don't know - I didn't think the Ubuntu crowd did much of
that sort of work(?)
All a bit out of my comfort zone though, this stuff.