dazuko-help

Re: [Dazuko-help] compile problem

From: John Ogness
Subject: Re: [Dazuko-help] compile problem
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:55:43 +0200

Benjamin Adler wrote:
I have compiled one of your prepatched kernels (2.6.8.1-rsbac) and configured the necessary options:

        [*] Enable different security models
        [*] Rule Set Based Access Control (RSBAC)

Hi,

Dazuko is alrady included in RSBAC. It is called the "DAZ" module. If you enable this module, Dazuko will already be in your kernel. RSBAC is maintained by Amon Ott and he does an excellent job of keeping the DAZ module up-to-date with the latest Dazuko releases.

Unfortunately the Dazuko website has no information about configuring RSBAC and the DAZ module anywhere. :-( I have also not found any information about it on RSBAC's site. :-(

I would recommend that you use the DAZ module that comes with RSBAC rather than downloading the version from the Dazuko website.

First, there is something weird on the download page: There are two pre-releases, 2.0.4-pre2 and 2.1.0-pre1. Why is 2.0.4-pre2 a newer release than 2.1.0-pre1?

2.0.x and 2.1.x are two different development branches. 2.0.4-preX represents the latest developments on a stable and proven branch. These changes are usually minor and do not involve significant changes in the design or framework of Dazuko. 2.1.0-preX has many new features and significant changes. The 2.1.x branch represents the future but should only be used by developers that are interested in some of these new features (such as DazukoFS). The official 2.0.4 version will probably be released within a few weeks, whereas 2.1.0 is not planned for official release until February 2005.

/tmp/dazuko-2.0.4-pre2/dazuko_rsbac.c:476: warning: implicit declaration of function `devfs_register_chrdev'

It looks like devfs support is not enabled in the kernel. The configure script will automatically detect devfs correctly. If you really want to use the download package rather than the RSBAC built-in DAZ module, try configuring Dazuko without specifying devfs:

# ./configure --enable-event-unlink --enable-event-rmdir --enable-event-close-modified

Using "--enable-devfs" will force devfs support, but it is rare that you really want to do that. The configure script should detect what it needs.

I've read on other dazuko-help pages that there should have been a "dazuko_ops_linux26.h" generated by configure. I have no such file!

Yes, older versions of Dazuko used to generate "dazuko_ops_linux26.h". This method of LSM support was unreliable and ugly. As of 2.0.4-pre2 this file no longer exists.

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer