Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] Re: gjdoc

From: Grzegorz B. Prokopski
Subject: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] Re: gjdoc
Date: 07 Feb 2003 10:50:53 +0100

W liście z pią, 07-02-2003, godz. 01:59, Brian Jones pisze:

> > > I would probably recommend Xalan,
> > > http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/index.html, for pure Java action, unless
> > > or until there is something similar from the GNU project.  I'm not
> > > really sure there needs to be one either.
> >
> > IANAL but xalan is under Apache license which is in turn incompatible
> > with GPL. That would be a problem for example when using GPL JVMs
> > or linking w/ gjdoc (sun.javadoc) code which is also GPL.
> >
> > I may be wrong, but thought you should be warned.
>
> Hmm... it's compatible with GNU Classpath and GCJ, (Guile licensing).
> Interesting point regarding JVM licensing and tools licensing.
GNU Classpath is licensed under GNU + linking exception which gives
you ability to link to anything (even closed source).

But GPL and Apache are incompatible - see:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html

And this is probably not a matter of viewpoint. You're free to not
like it but it doesn't change much. GPL+Apache software can't be
linked together. And this is especially bad as docbook-gjdoc is mostly
GPL (w/o exception) so it CAN'T link to Apache licensed software.

As long as the above is true - you can't legally CALL any Apache
software interfaces from gjdoc. BUT Apache software can be used
to process the output of gjdoc, when xml processor is called AFTER
(not FROM inside) gjdoc - like AFAIK in debian's gjdoc package in
it's shell wrapper.

                                        GBP

--
Grzegorz B. Prokopski <address@hidden>