Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] Re: gjdoc

From: Julian Scheid
Subject: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] Re: gjdoc
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 23:07:32 +0100

Libxml2 isn't under GPL either - it's released under the MIT
license - so actually the Gjdoc version currently in CVS also
relies on non-GPLed software (at least when it comes to HTML
generation.)

So technically, while Gjdoc works on a 100% "free" toolchain, it
doesn't run on a 100% GPLed toolchain - not in the past, and
obviously not in the near future.

I understand that the ultimate goal is to provide all Cp-tools
with no dependencies on non-GPLed third-party software. But until
this is possible, what's the official GNU policy towards this
end - especially when it comes down to static linking? Who can
give a definitive statement to this issue?

I'd be happy to go along with Xalan for now, but I wonder if we
can (or should) encourage users to download Xalan, and provide a
tailored build file, or usage instructions for it. Something
like "make sure you have Xalan, Saxon or another JAXP-compliant
XSL processor on your CLASSPATH." Or - for the gjc-based build -
"you have to link Xalan-foo.jar into the executable for XSL
processing to work."

See my other mail for the reason I'm asking.

Julian