Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] shape of the CVS

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] shape of the CVS
Date: 21 Feb 2002 23:01:14 -0800

>> If the above is cool with you, it's fine with me and you can go
>> ahead and heavy-lifting on the shell account at subversions.  I've
>> checked everything I've been working on in.  Julian?

JS> No changes meanwhile, go ahead Nic after we've decided on src/ or
JS> not.  Let us know when you're done, I'll keep changes local until
JS> you say OK.

JS> Alex: Classpath might do it without src/, but do we really need to
JS> stick to this scheme? I think with src/ is the better way, as
JS> detailed in my other mail, and there's no real need to adhere to
JS> something like a 'Classpath standard'. Let's do it like Nic
JS> suggests!

I've no real objections to having the extra src/ directory, I'm not
dogmatic about it.  It just seems that the various GNU Java projects
are "galloping in all directions at once" with respect to this and I
figured it would be better to adhere to at least some defacto standard
(even if ill-defined) than coming up with yet another convention to
avoid confusion.  But if more projects can move to more systematic
system (using src/ for example) for directories etc. then I'm all for
it.  The thing that's nice about most C oriented GNU packages (and
GNOME packages as well) is that they have a nice predictable directory
layout which makes things much easier as a developer and even user (if
you're compiling and packaging stuff especially), because most of
those annoying convention decisions have already been made for you and
it frees you up to think about the code itself rather about where
things go (in this respect the src/ directory has the virtue of being
familiar to most C/GNOME developers).  Good constraints can actually
enable creativity rather than hinder it I believe.

If all the GNU Java projects were be heading in the same direction, it
would be great.  If by adopting this new convention (i.e. by being a
project that uses it) then it would make it more likely that it will
become a (at least defacto) standard, do you think it would help
projects like classpath and others to follow?  (I know that Nic
initiated some discussion on the javaweb-people list on this subject,
Nic, was there any rough consensus from that discussion?)  If so, then
I say go with the src/.

Alex
--
    Alex Lancaster * address@hidden * SourceForge Developer