Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] shape of the CVS

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] shape of the CVS
Date: 22 Feb 2002 02:10:46 +0000

Julian Scheid <address@hidden> writes:

> > If the above is cool with you, it's fine with me and you can go ahead
> > and heavy-lifting on the shell account at subversions.  I've checked
> > everything I've been working on in.  Julian?
>
> No changes meanwhile, go ahead Nic after we've decided on src/ or not.
> Let us know when you're done, I'll keep changes local until you say
> OK.

Julian... I will ask you to check in and leave well alone before I do
anything. Hacky changes like this (to the repository) mean that
developers have to re-check out the files.

No way round that.

So keep hacking until I say "stop".

I will say "stop" when I've got a clear signal about what to do.

> Alex: Classpath might do it without src/, but do we really need to
> stick to this scheme? I think with src/ is the better way, as detailed
> in my other mail, and there's no real need to adhere to something like
> a 'Classpath standard'. Let's do it like Nic suggests!

In fact, there is no "standard". The projects that do it without a
src/ directory:

   classpath
   gcj
   kawa

The projects that fo it with a src/ directory:

   classpathx
   paperclips

Brian and I discussed this a while ago and could find no real reason
why the compiler projects do what they do (Tom Tromey didn't think it
was automake) . I think it's clear when you look at the kawa
repository, that it is a bit messy.

However, I'm not really concerned about which way you do it... I can
see valid reasons on both sides.

Nic