Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] shape of the CVS

From: Julian Scheid
Subject: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] shape of the CVS
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 00:23:03 +0100

This is exactly the layout that I prefer and which I use for
all my Java projects. A 'src' directory containing the Java
sources, each stored in a directory corresponding to its
package. I agree with you, Nic, that this is also the layout
the average Java developer assumes.

I was discussing a related issue with Alex on a different
thread, he hasn't answered yet but I suppose he chose the
'flat' layout for TexiDoclet so that Automake works - am I
right Alex?

Nic FYI: originally TexiDoclet distro layout was similar to
your proposal. Alex flattened it, as I said probably because
of Automake limits.

Back then, I was glad that Alex took care of TexiDoclet and
didn't object his decision at all (good that you're here my
friend!)

But even if it is your personal preference, Alex, I have to
agree with Nic that the "deep" source directory approach is
preferrable as it is the (pardon me::) standard Java way of
doing things. If Automake is the reason for the flat
TexiDoclet layout, we should drop it and use Autoconf only,
tailored to our needs.

BTW the deep way is also a better structure because you don't
have tens or hundreds of java source files cluttered in one
directory. You have source files sorted by package, i.e. by
software module, or function, which is a good thing.

In short, I support Nics suggestion. Looks very good.

(Nic I suppose the 'k' in gnu/gkjdoc is a typo. The full
package path would be gnu/classpath/tools/gjdoc/.)

Julian

Nic Ferrier wrote:
Did you guys agree on a CVS configuration?

I was suggesting:

 cvsroot/
    cp-tools/
       texidoclet/
          README
          INSTALL
          COPYING
          src/
            gnu/
              texidoclet/
       gjdoc/
          README
          INSTALL
          COPYING
          src/
            gnu/
              gkjdoc/
       gjh/

The contents of the src directories is just an example but I think
you should express the full package structure there.

I really recommend that this be done, it will make life much easier
for those that might come and help out (the current structure is
definitely stopping me from hacking).