cjk-list

Re: [cjk] [mailman] texlive svn write access Fw: Re: revisiting ttf2tfm

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [cjk] [mailman] texlive svn write access Fw: Re: revisiting ttf2tfm and dvipdfmx
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 10:04:31 +0100

Peter Breitenlohner wrote:
There is still the indeterminism issue which is extremely easy to see on a few
dozen of fonts from half a dozen vendors, and not touched upon.

I'll come to that, but will need an URL for simsun.ttc and/or msmincho.ttc.

You haven't read carefully. The indeterminism happens with wcl-??.ttf (?? = 01 , 02, to 10), mikachanALL.ttc, as well as the more common msgothic/msminch.ttc/simsunttc. I was mentioned the latter just in case you don't bothered with the former two - since microsoft windows boxes are extremely common.

In fact, now that I checked. The indeterminism happens to *every* one of 460 font instances.

I wrote "font instances", because e.g with Microsoft arialuni.ttf, I do three:

ttf2tfm arialuni.ttf address@hidden@
ttf2tfm arialuni.ttf address@hidden@
ttf2tfm arialuni.ttf address@hidden@

FWIW, even if you don't own a windows box or have access to one handy, simsun18030 used to be downloadable as part of some sort of China compliance kit (The Chinese mandates GB18030 support, not unicode), and msgothic/msmincho as part of MS IE language kit. (simsun18030 is not the same as simsun - and both show the indeterminism problem).

If you are linux-inclined, the indeterminism also happens with the original ttf versions of the 4 Arphic fonts, the 5 cwTeX fonts, watanabe-mincho, wadalab-gothic, kochi-mincho/gothic, Netscape's cyberbit, and all the reference fonts from the Taiwan and Hong Kong governments, among the 460.