cjk-list

Re: [cjk] texlive svn write access Fw: Re: revisiting ttf2tfm and dvipdf

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [cjk] texlive svn write access Fw: Re: revisiting ttf2tfm and dvipdfmx
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 10:43:21 +0100

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

If you are not trying to make unfamiliar typefaces available to TeX,
you probably should not be the one working on ttf2tfm/ttf2pk or
rewriting them, at all.

Uh, oh, Hin-Tak, why so aggressive?  Please stop that since it isn't
helpful.

What other uses are ttf2tfm/ttf2pk, besides making unfamiliar typefaces available to TeX? Unfamiliar typefaces are by their very nature not necessarily "compliant", for a value of "compliant".

I can see something like the following happening: an old mostly-working version being withdrawn, and replaced by a new version which doesn't work to its purpose. Users getting stuck in the middle.

Legal aspect aside, I am surprised to hear that the new ttf2pk2 is not tested with some of the Microsoft platform bundled fonts, or regularly tested with them. Shocking. That's perhaps the widely available testing route, as well as possibly the most common intended usage eventually. (whether you agree with, or like the legal aspect of it or not).