cjk-list

Re: [cjk] texlive svn write access Fw: Re: revisiting ttf2tfm and dvipdf

From: Peter Breitenlohner
Subject: Re: [cjk] texlive svn write access Fw: Re: revisiting ttf2tfm and dvipdfmx
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 09:50:52 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:

Does 'all' mean pdftex/luatex/xetex or as well dvipdfmx/xdvidpdfmx?

Similiar logic are in dvipdfmx, xdvipdfmx, pdftex, luatex. I only tried
dvipdfmx and pdftex.

Hi Hin-Tak,

in the meantime I have seen that 00030000 and 00000000 are actually treated
somewhat differently in (x)dvipdfmx, thus this could cause a segfault.

I had asked if they abort silently or first give a (warning or error)
message.

I don't agree at all.  Everybody should either throw away these broken font
files or get them fixed (with a hex editor or otherwise).

That's probably why fewer and fewer people are using TeX. CJK fonts of unusual typefaces are difficult to come by. Not everybody have the knowledge/know-hows to change these fonts in the necessary way (and minimally). You are trying to punish users for wanting to do in TeX what they can do with some "easier" typesetting systems.

Here I have expressed my personal opinion.  Since (some of) the programs
work around some other problems caused by broken fonts they should perhaps
also handle this case.

That's texlive shipped with fedora. It says 20130608 r30832 over all.

that is the FreeType 1 version and 'ttf2tfm -help' should say 'Version 1.5'.
Is this 32bit or 64bit?

64-bit.

Perhaps 10 years ago you have used a 32bit version and now a 64bit one?

That's possible. It is a bug, in any case.

Agreed, but once again: I'll not spend time on hunting down bugs in the old
version.

You should get the current TeX Live svn, build the FreeType 2 Version, and
repeat the test with that one.  I have just tried that for 32bit with no
problems.

It isn't really my intention to spend more time on this than necessary. I
think this exchange is discouraging enough I don't want to spend time
going off in that direction.

That is certainly your privilege, but then not much will happen.

I see two possibilities to make some progress:

(1) you build the FreeType 2 Version and try to find which part of the code
causes the bug, or

(2) you provide me with all required input to reproduce the bug.  For
dvipdfmx/xdvipdfmx that means the .dvi/.xdv file and all required font files
(except those in the TeX Live distribution).

I mentioned this font is on sourceforge. It still is (or a version of it). Mine has a date stamp of "Jun 8 2004", the "current" downloadable version in
http://mikachan.sourceforge.jp/win.html
(http://mikachan.sourceforge.jp/mikachanALL.exe)
seems to be 8 months younger. Perhaps you can have a go at that. The issue was intermittent here, and ftdump (from freetype 2.5.0.1) does not show problem with EM size, so the trace was strange.

OK, I'll try that.  But not using Windows I may have problems to extract the
actual font file from mikachanALL.exe.

Regards
Peter