Re: [certi-dev] Re: [Flightgear-devel] FlightGear goes HLA 1.3

From: Eric Noulard
Subject: Re: [certi-dev] Re: [Flightgear-devel] FlightGear goes HLA 1.3
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 08:15:33 +0200

2008/7/2 Martin Spott <address@hidden>:
> Hi Petr - Cc: to the list,
>
> On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 10:10:42PM +0200, Petr Gotthard wrote:
>
>> >Who is supposed to read the .fed file: FlightGear itself, the RTIA or
>> >the RTIG ? I'm running FlightGear (and therefore the RTIA as well) on a
>> >Linux workplace machine, the RTIG is running on my internet gateway
>> >machine (the Sun SPARC) .... actually to allow other federates
>> >contacting the same RTIG - some day :-)
>> >Is the RTIG the only place that requires reading the .fed ?
>>
>> I think both RTIA and RTIG need a .fed file. FlightGear just starts RTIA.

RTIG is the one that need to read the FED file.
RTIA needs a FED file too but RTIG does send the FED file to RTIA
if needed, that when RTIA either send CREATE_FEDERATION_EXECUTION or
JOIN_FEDERATION_EXECUTION.

This way there is _ONLY ONE_ FED file which should be accessible to RTIG.

> I just found out that RTIG searches for the .fed file in the _current_
> directory:

[...]

> ....  doesn't work - something that probably could be solved a bit more
> elegant with the next release of CERTI.

It should work the FED search algorithm is the following:

1) First try the given path "as-is" which means that
       1.a) if an absolute path is given the path should be opened just fine
       1.b) if a relative path is given it is considered rooted at
rtig location (usually a silly but keep reading)
2) Try a "standard" location on unix /usr/local/share/federations
3) Try ${CERTI_HOME}/+ share/federations

Using billard test app with:
billard -n 1 -FTest.fed -fTest -t 10

The RTIG prints:
New federation: Test
Looking for FOM file...
   Trying... Test.fed --> cannot access.
   Now trying.../usr/local/share/federations/Test.fed --> cannot access.
   Now trying.../LOCAL/ERIC/certi-cvs/share/federations/Test.fed... opened.

Whereas if I launch billard with full path to fed I get:

billard -n 1 -F/LOCAL/ERIC/workspace/certi/test/Billard/Test.fed -fTest -t 10
New federation: Test
Looking for FOM file...
   Trying... /LOCAL/ERIC/workspace/certi/test/Billard/Test.fed... opened.

Now since you seem to run RTIG as 'root' user, its behavior regarding
environment var may be different. Usually root do not inherit environment
for security reason.
What does your RTIG print when asked for the fed file?

I should agree that the CERTI_HOME + share/federations may be awkward
we may add CERTI_FED envar which could be a list of paths.

Would file a feature request on the bug tracker with a scheme
that suits your need. We will discuss it with other and implement
something appropriate.