[be] Re: merging changes and using remote repository

From: Teus Benschop
Subject: [be] Re: merging changes and using remote repository
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:57:16 +0200

Hi Phil,

First of all, there are two different things that are completely
independent from one another.

There is, 1. collaboration through a remote repository, and 2., merging
two projects.

Though these are completely separate, the combination of the two can be
used for management of the various projects.

About the collaboration, then, tackling this one first, the online help
comes with a topic "Collaboration". It gives tutorials of how to set it
up. It can use a networked repository, or a USB flash drive. Please read
this tutorial, and perhaps there will be still some questions remaining
that can be discussed on this list.

Then, secondly, there is in the online help a topic about "Merging".
This topic has a bit of help and guides the user through setting it up.

As for the internet site, if the collaboration is done locally, you can
turn one of the computers into a server that serves the git repository.
But if non-local collaboration is needed, you need a site that allows
anonymous git operations since bibledit does not yet support secure git
operations. Space was offered on bibledit.org for that purpose. Once
bibledit supports secure git operations, any public git repository can
be used. But that is something still to come.

Collaboration with Paratext seems to be still far away since Paratext
does not right now seem to support that idea.

Regards,

Teus.