Re: [avrdude-dev] attiny10 with ftdi and bitbang

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] attiny10 with ftdi and bitbang
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 21:10:10 +0200

As Hannes Weisbach wrote:

> > As for common code, I think there could be a common chip_erase and
> > program_enable (like avr_chip_erase or something). It may not be the
> > best solution, but it's definitely better than having duplicate code
> > in the different programmers.

> Maybe a maintainer can comment on that issue?

I don't mind if someone would rewrite that piece of code.

Most of what's there is for historical reasons.  AVRDUDE started out
as a driver for parallel-port bit-bang programmers.  Later it got
extended to also handle the STK500 protocol, but as a curiosity (these
days), most of the existing low-level code has been reused, by means
of the "SPI multi command".  This command has always been part of the
STK500 protocol spec, but as far as I can tell, AVRDUDE is the only
consumer of it.  Later again, the serial bit-bang code has been added,
and the parts common to both have been moved out into their own file.

Most of the recent AVRDUDE development has been done on more
higher-level protocols anyway (AVRISPmkII, JTAGICEmkII, and its
derivatives), which by nature of their protocol implement most of the
details separately.  That explains why things like chip erase
etc. never made it into a general, universal method being used by all
AVRs.  But if you think that's useful, just go for it.