[avrdude-dev] Building in AVRDUDEWindows

From: Jason Hecker
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Building in AVRDUDEWindows
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 16:17:25 +1000

I am trying to build the SVN tree of AVRDUDE in Windows for an x86 32
bit target (and hopefully a 64 bit target too) so I can try and get a
newish type of hardware programming dongle working.

I have installed a subset of the latest Cygwin utilities (not GCC though).
I have installed MinGW.

I can build the AVRDUDE 5.10 package to completion using my
FrankenCygwinMinGW environment following the simple instructions on
http://www.nongnu.org/avrdude/user-manual/avrdude_19.html.

I'd like to pull the latest SVN trunk and build that so I can later
apply patches.

Using the trunk version of AVRDUDE I can (running Cygwin as
Administrator though else it fails) do an "autoreconf --force
--install" and start making it but run into this problem:

$ make
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/temp/av/avrdude'
Making all in windows
make[2]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/temp/av/avrdude/windows'
.deps/loaddrv.Po:1: *** multiple target patterns.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/temp/av/avrdude/windows'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/temp/av/avrdude'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Can someone please tell me the right sequence of aclocal and
autoconf/make commands and their arguments to get the SVN trunk branch
to have a set of config* and Maek* files that will build to completion
in Windows?  What is used to get the tarball contents set up right?
Should I ditch cygwin and use MSYS instead (I'd rather not...)