Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude and WinXP

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude and WinXP
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 13:26:29 -0700

On 24 Mar 2003 at 12:09, Bruce D. Lightner wrote:

> BTW: If you didn't get the word, a work-around is to run the
> programmer and access the parallel port a total of 10-12 times,
> seperated by 2-3 second pauses.  You must do this after each re-boot.
> (Go figure!)

Whew! Some workaround.

> > I think it's time we get someone with enough Win* programming
> > skills to write a real device driver for this...
>
> Sadly, I am probably qualified.  (I also know Cobol and RPG-II, even
> though I don't put that on my resume for the same reasons! :-)  In
> fact, I am working on this problem and should have a proper validated
> Windows XP driver for the parallel port in the next day or two.  I'll
> be happy to share the results...without any restrictions.
>
> Our simple programmer and "avrdude" are using an identical technique
> for direct I/O on the Windows NT/2000/XP platforms, so I'd imagine
> this would be a "drop in" fix for your programmer.
>
> If you are interested, let me know who to contact.  You will need the
> NT DDK ("free" from Microsoft, except for shipping) and a copy of MS
> Visual C++ (I am using version 6.0 even though Microsoft says that's
> not good enough).

Bruce, I was thinking that you were probably the most qualified too.
I do most of my programming in the embedded world and some on
Windows. But I haven't even begun touching device drivers for
Windows. I don't have the DDK and I also don't have MSVC++ (but that
may change sometime in the future).

If you are willing to share your device driver that would be great! I
would think that all that would be required is to license it under an
OSI <http://www.opensource.org/> approved license.

I do have a couple of questions:
1. Is this driver for XP only? Or will it work for NT/2K/XP?
2. Would the loaddrv.exe program that comes with the Windows avrdude
be able to load your driver? Or, how would you go about loading it?

Thanks for all your help.

Eric