Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: avr-libc 1.6.8 [was: duplicating avr-libcfromwina

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: avr-libc 1.6.8 [was: duplicating avr-libcfromwinavr]
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 08:23:02 +0100

As Weddington, Eric wrote:

> > Incidentally, is there a reason why avr-libc is hosted with CVS
> > rather than Subversion?

(Btw., applying the tag wasn't as painful even with CVS as I thought.
But yes, it's simpler and more consistent in SVN.)

> Age of the project. We have logs going back to 1999. I suppose that
> we could migrate to SVN. Joerg would probably have to do most of the
> heavy lifting to move it over.

As you mentioned, I've done it with AVRDUDE before on Savannah.  It's
not a really big deal.  We have to abstain from commits for a few
days, until the savannah admins imported the SVN dump that is used as
the base for the migration.

Now is probably a good time for a switch.

> > I think the key point is whether the key avr-libc developers
> > /want/ to move to subversion, and want to think about how they
> > would organise the subversion tree structure - that's probably
> > more effort than the mechanics of the conversion itself, which is
> > fairly automated.

> Well I can't speak for everyone, but Joerg and I have used both, and
> I know that Joerg has converted other open source projects from CVS
> to subversion (avrdude comes to mind). Anatoly and Dmitry are also
> main contributors, so they would have to speak up. But I highly
> doubt anyone would object to it. As usual, it's probably just that
> we all have higher priorities on our todo list.

If there's consensus about it, I'll simply prepare it.  I wouldn't
want to reorganize much, i.e. just use the defaults.  This means what
is currently CVS head will end up in trunk/, and in parallel to trunk
will be tags/ and branches/ subdirectories.  SVN doesn't really
distinguish between both, so it's just a convention which of these
subdirectories are used when tagging the tree: tags/ is used for
things that are assumed to be never committed again into, while
branches/ is used as a branch in the CVS sense (although we just
agreed to not start a branch immediately again unless necessary).

So again, if there's no objection against switching to SVN, I'll
prepare it -- say, within the next week or so.  Dmitry, Anatoly,
Anitha, is that fine with you?