automake

Re: More an autopackage

From: Derek R. Price
Subject: Re: More an autopackage
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 00:40:58 -0500

Michael Sweet wrote:

> Rusty Ballinger wrote:
> > (What packaging systems only let you create packages as root, and
> > why do they do that?  I know rpm *wants* you to be root, but you
> > don't have to be...)
>
> Debian's dpkg needs you to run as root; otherwise the files you
> install will be owned by your user & group.
>
> HP-UX's swpackage needs you to run as root if you want to access
> the files you've packaged; you can open up a "depot" to regular
> users, but the files are created as root and are readable only
> by root...

Due to security concerns, you're obviously never going to be able to
install files owned by root without root privledges, but are you really
telling me that these systems require you to _build_ packages as root?

If so, how hard would it be to tweak the output files?

    ( sed s/filename:dprice:dprice/filename:root:root/ <package
>newpackage )

Derek

--
Derek Price                      CVS Solutions Architect ( http://CVSHome.org )