automake

Re: More an autopackage

From: Geoffrey Wossum
Subject: Re: More an autopackage
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 14:13:47 -0600 (CST)

> Automake can't create all of the spec file.  It doesn't have enough
> information.  And, adding the information to Makefile.am does not make
> sense (because it is global to a package, which Makefile.am really
> isn't).
>
> Also, generating a list of files is not enough.  You also need pre-
> and post- install and uninstall commands.
>
> One way to get these is the *_INSTALL variables, which I talked about
> earlier.

I was thinking about this, and I considered another possibility.  autopkg
would scan the Makefile.am to build a basic specfile, which the developer
could then add pre/post install scripts and so forth.  This would be
analogous to autoscan producing a basic configure.in that the developer
then customizes.

---
Geoffrey Wossum
address@hidden