automake

Re: More an autopackage

From: Derek R. Price
Subject: Re: More an autopackage
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 00:35:53 -0500

Harlan Stenn wrote:

> Are there several issues here?
>
> The package maintainer has the package to worry about.

Aha!  Here's the crossed wire.  What I was envisioning was a package tool
designed such that most platforms wouldn't _need_ devoted package maintainers.
A single package maintainer using Autopackage could conceivably do all their
testing on a single platform once Autopackage and the associated Automake
support was finished and debugged (heh).

Then a user could download a source distrobution and blindly build and/or
install the platform specific package they require.  An aim worth working in
Bourne shell for, I'd think.

Someone who wished to make such a built package available for download and do
any other value add they desired (previously a package maintainer), could still
do so using this tool.  I expect those sort of people would still have work,
but hopefully it wouldn't be more than tweaking the packages or the AP tool
itself and more time could be devoted to real development.

Derek

--
Derek Price                      CVS Solutions Architect ( http://CVSHome.org )
mailto:address@hidden     OpenAvenue ( http://OpenAvenue.com )
I will not call my teacher "Hot Cakes".
I will not call my teacher "Hot Cakes"...

          - Bart Simpson on chalkboard, _The Simpsons_