advocate

Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Two thoughts: automated conversion, and radio4al

From: Michael Fötsch
Subject: Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Two thoughts: automated conversion, and radio4all.net.
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 11:10:24 -0700 (PDT)

rek2GNU/Linux wrote:
>freeyoutube.org :-P if get the funding is possible, since those videos
> are public to view/download or what is the case for this videos?

A quick check of their Terms of Service reveals that you can't do this legally
(without a license from all the copyright holders, which is not necessarily
YouTube).

A different thought: Is the Ogg Theora infrastructure ready for being used by a
site such as YouTube? I mean, is there browser support for streaming on the
client side? Is there streaming support on the server side?

The questions are not rhetoric; I really don't know the answers. I asked the
same question somewhere a while back. I don't know any web site that streams
Ogg Theora. (Vorbis yes, but no streaming video.)

Is Ogg Theora as a streaming solution competitive yet? If it's just a question
of packaging up existing pieces of software in one easy-to-maintain "Ogg Theora
Streaming Server" package, then we should discuss ways of making this happen,
or helping the Xiph people to make this happen.

I always wonder why it is that not even free software-friendly web sites
support this. (Do you remeber when Sun released Java under the GPL, and their
videos were all Flash-based? The converted Ogg files were available only as
file downloads and only a few days later.)

Kind Regards,
M.F.

 a vacation? Get great deals
to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.