ada-mode-users

Re: Elpa installation fails and general confusion

From: salotz
Subject: Re: Elpa installation fails and general confusion
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 15:45:42 -0500

Hi and thanks again Stephen,

> What do you get when you do:
>
> C-h f cl-defun
>
> It should put up a help buffer that says it's in cl-macs.el

That is correct, although it says it is in
`/usr/share/local/emacs/27.1/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-macs.el.gz`

> What is the result of these:
>
> M-; (featurep 'cl-lib)
> M-; (featurep 'cl-macs)

Evaling those just gives a true.

> Can you byte-compile wisi manually:
>
> M-x byte-compile-file ~/.emacs.d/elpa/wisi-3.1.3/wisi.el

```
Compiling file /home/salotz/.emacs.d/elpa/wisi-3.1.3/wisi.el at Tue Feb
23 15:35:05 2021 Entering directory
‘/home/salotz/.emacs.d/elpa/wisi-3.1.3/’ wisi.el:111:1:Error: Symbol’s
function definition is void: wisi--lexer-error
```

> etc.

Not sure what you mean here specifically. A number of them seem to have
been byte compiled already including wisi-parse-common.el.

If I recompile `wisi-parse-common.el` then it seems I can compile
`wisi.el` with just some warnings:

```
Compiling file /home/salotz/.emacs.d/elpa/wisi-3.1.3/wisi.el at Tue Feb

In end of data:
wisi.el:1726:1:Warning: the following functions are not known to be
defined: wisi-process--parser-p, wisi-process--parser-total-wait-time,
    wisi-process--parser-response-count, wisi-completion-at-point

```

Which I suspect can be solved in a similar manner.

This is good news! To confirm, Ada mode is loaded when opening an
'adb' file.

What could cause this? I don't actually know how and when
things get byte compiled.

Just a note that I'm not the only one with the same error, there was
another user on the ada-lang/lobby gitter chat that had the same issue.

~Sam