Re: [Swftools-common] SwfDump shape definition, polygon hole problem

From: wolfgang-steiner
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] SwfDump shape definition, polygon hole problem
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 19:02:09 +0100 (CET)

>> Currently I'm working out my own file format for my ogre plugin
>> [.ogreswf] which is what I use swftools for (swf2ogreswf converter is
>> in the works).
>
> Wouldn't it be simpler if the ogreswf plugin would be able to read SWFs
> directly?
> I'm not that familiar with ogre, so I don't know what capabilities the
> plugins have (or which language they're written in...?)

Of course it would be easier and handier if ogreSwf were able to read SWFs
directly, but because SwfTools are covered by the GPL and not by the LGPL
(as ogre is) I don't want to link ogreSwf directly to the SwfTools code,
because this would force me to put ogreSwf under the GPL too (now it's
under LGPL) and finally putting it under the GPL would force the users of
ogreSwf to put their applications under the GPL too.
But quite a reasonable amount of the people interested in using ogreSwf
will not want to open source their code / put it under the GPL. Therefore
I decided to use a seperate file format to avoid this restriction to the
users and keep ogreSwf LGPL.

>> The current work is to store SWF polygons/lines/holes to my file
>> format and then triangulate / render them in ogreSwf (I begin to have
>> a love-hate relationship to triangulation ;D ).
>
> Do you have access to OpenGL functions from Ogre? I've made some good
> experience with the tesselation functions of OpenGL. See
> lib/devices/opengl.c for details.

Yes, I have already been told of openGL's capabilities, I will definately
have to investigate it. Thanks

Greetings,
Wolfgang aka. stoneCold