sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Excessive use of /var/lib/sks/DB/log.*

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Excessive use of /var/lib/sks/DB/log.*
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2019 19:06:10 -0500

On Fri 2019-02-08 16:48:16 -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Hey dkg!

hi Gunnar! :)

> With hindsight, that was my mistake - When I rebuilt my server
> about a month ago (after a DB corruption), I decided to keep my
> installation and just delete /var/lib/sks/DB/*, rebuilding from
> dumps. Of course, I blew the DB_CONFIG (which IMO has no business
> there!)

oof, agreed.  mixing config and data is bad practice.

> In fact... I think that The Debian Way™ would be to have it in
> /etc/sks, with a message on top clearly stating it should be linked
> from /var/lib/sks/DB (as we Debian people are often too lazy to look
> up configuration details in our software and expect everything to be
> in /etc) 😉

Assuming that bdb will read from a symlinked DB_CONFIG, You'd still need
to have recreated the /var/lib/sks/DB/DB_CONFIG symlink after blowing
away the whole DB directory.  Or perhaps we could automate that creation
if it doesn't exist?

Alternately, we could have an automated check that a DB_CONFIG file at
least exists, and produce a noisy warning someplace in the packaging or
systemd unit files if it does not.

I'd welcome any such patches to the debian packaging if anyone has any
concrete suggestions.

this kind of finicky stuff is atrocious and should not be the
responsibility of the sysadmin, it should all Just Work™ by default. :/

               --dkg