sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] sks.disunitedstates.com down and out

From: John Marshall
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] sks.disunitedstates.com down and out
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 19:15:05 +1000

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015, 23:30 -0700, David Benfell wrote:
> Quoting John Marshall <address@hidden>:
>
> > Perhaps the folks who have BDB problems
> > are the ones who mix keydump and BDB key storage?
>
> If this is the case--and I can't rule it out--then there is the
> problem of how we reliably produce keydumps for new server
> administrators to use. Also, I was seeing a keydump as a necessary
> backup for the Berkeley DB. I backup all my other databases; I expect
> to backup this one as well.

Producing keydumps from the database (sks dump) for the purpose of
distribution or backup is a completely different topic to using an
existing keydump as part of the database.  sks dump does not require and
existing keydump.

Creating a new database with (sks fastbuild) means that the actual keys
are not imported into the database from the keydump and the keydump must
be kept intact and available in order for sks to serve the keys.
Creating a new database with (sks build) loads everything into the
database and there is no residual dependency upon the keydump used for
the load.  I am wondering if the BDB problems which plague some
operators may be related to using fastbuild databases which have data
split between the BDB database and the keydump.

--
John Marshall