sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] sks.disunitedstates.com down and out

From: Tobias Frei
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] sks.disunitedstates.com down and out
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 00:22:49 +0000

Hey David,

it makes me sad to see you leaving the pool, and I really hope that you'll try to run SKS again in a few years, when the relevant problems might be solved and bugs have been fixed. See you; don't leave us forever! :)

Best regards,
Tobias Frei

On Sat, Apr 11, 2015, 01:31 David Benfell <address@hidden> wrote:
Quoting Michael Sinatra <address@hidden>:

> On 04/10/15 15:44, David Benfell wrote:
>
>> I'm giving up.
>>
>> When there is an sks that uses a reliable database system, I'll be happy
>> to rejoin. But Berkeley DB is not sane in my environment, has never
>> proven scalable in any environment I've had in the past, and I'm not
>> messing with it any more.
>
> I had terrible stability problems when trying to run an SKS server on a
> VM platform (VMware ESXi 5.x).  Once I moved it to standalone hardware,
> it has been rock solid.
>
> Just a datum--not trying to talk you out of it...

This is on the biggest, most powerful server I've ever owned, a
relatively new system--not a VPS.

If I have to give sks its own system, then I can't run it anyway. I'm
happy to be generous with what I have, but when it comes to buying a
system just for sks, that's more than I can do.

Thanks!

--
David Benfell <address@hidden>