sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] geokey.webtru.st

From: John Clizbe
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] geokey.webtru.st
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 19:17:05 -0500

Ryan wrote:
> Does anybody use LOC records? The GeoIP country database should be plenty
> accurate for this and requires no external support or participation.
>
> I see no advantage to implement a LOC record lookup, programmatically
> figuring out country/continent a host is from off coordinates alone is not as
> simple as passing an IP to the GeoIP API.

Pass a Lat/long combo to http://stevemorse.org/jcal/latlon.php It also does
addresses to lat/long for setting up LOC records

http://www.findlatitudeandlongitude.com/find-address-from-latitude-and-longitude.php
also seems to be fairly accurate on lat/long tp physical/political address
conversion.

I'm sure there are more, even some with callable APIs, but dinner is getting
cold.

While GeoIP may give a new results each time, I've been told in in Grand
Prairie, Dallas, or Richardson, all with the same IP address. LOC data can be
cached and is less likely to change.

> Cheers, -Ryan

In the DFW metroplex, the two main consumer ISP are located north of Dallas in
Richardson or Plano. I live in southwestern Arlington, much closer to Fort Worth
than Dallas.

My LOC record is precise to within a couple meters. GeoIP for Time-Warner's
Roadrunner service comes in on the order of 50-60 miles for me, but can be as
much as 80 for further out suburbs. AT&T's DSL bounces all over the area
depending on which pool your next DHCP address comes out of. As it works
locally, GeoIP seems to be reporting the first backbone router or ATM switch my
traffic hits.

Based on the vagaries of ISP hosting, I don't think Kim Minh's example of
keyserver.fr being in Russia is all too uncommon. I would not be surprised by an
Australian server in Perth GeoIPing to Brisbane or Sydney since those two are
where most of the Pacific fibre terminate.

GeoIP seems fine if in most cases you only need "close enough". City centroid,
or in the US ZIP Code centroid, data are probably more accurate then GeoIP for
setting up a LOC record.  USB serial GPS receivers may be found on eBay for ~USD
$15. Not too bad on location, especially if one averages a large number of
readings, still a bit fuzzy for NTP.

BTW, what's the users1 box that started showing up in my recon.log last week. I
went ahead and added it, but a little warning would have been nice.

Regards,

- -John