sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] geokey.webtru.st

From: David Benfell
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] geokey.webtru.st
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 13:54:42 -0700

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011, Phil Pennock wrote:

> On 2011-10-25 at 03:23 -0600, Ryan wrote:
> > My plans from here are to get more accurate Geo location information for
> > the keyserver network and build dynamic map based off the results.. build
> > it up as an interesting web-portal to the SKS network for now.
> > If accuracy is acceptable I may proceed by creating DNS pools for each
> > continent and any country with a defined number of servers available.
>
> When I put together http://sks.spodhuis.org/sks-peers I added
> country-code stuff; it's been there almost since the start.
>
> My experience, working at $BigInternetCompany, was that all IP-based
> geolocation is flawed but that it's the only tool available for
> legally-mandated filters (eg, Germany-based prohibitions on what can be
> promoted by your users) and all jurisdictions accept that these are
> "good enough".  Against that, one of the biggest complaint sources from
> users was being redirected to the wrong version of the homepage because
> of inaccurate geolocation.

Phil's post reminds me that we're solving the wrong problem here.

The truth is we don't care what country any particular server is in.
We care what server is closest in terms of routing across the
Internet. This is a latency issue rather than a national issue.

If (unlikely since I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area), a Mexican
server offers the quickest service to my request, then I should be
happy to use the Mexican server.

--
David Benfell <address@hidden>
http://www.parts-unknown.org/