sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] geokey.webtru.st

From: Ryan
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] geokey.webtru.st
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 03:23:34 -0600

When I run the IP against the maxmind demo it says its in Paris France, I am
using the paid country database thats several months out of date by now.. dunno
why my db thinks its in russia but they charge more for access to the more
accurate databases and there Regional Databases are 99.8% accurate @ country
level..

They offer a Web based API that gives 20k queries for $20 and its much more
accurate and always up to date vs the DB I purchased some time ago (I use it
mainly for web server log parsing).. If I integrated that into just the
KeyServer lookups the 20k queries would go along way with just daily checks,
this give me alot more details with information like confidence values for
accuracy.

In the end my current implementation is basically moot, its not a valid
solution to do web based redirects to a local keyserver as gpg will not follow
forwards and simply return "key not found" if a 200 result is not returned.

My plans from here are to get more accurate Geo location information for the
keyserver network and build dynamic map based off the results.. build it up as
an interesting web-portal to the SKS network for now.
If accuracy is acceptable I may proceed by creating DNS pools for each
continent and any country with a defined number of servers available.

-R