Spurious "more than one current_mirror" error

From: David Croll
Subject: Spurious "more than one current_mirror" error
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 23:32:09 +0200

Hi,

I get an error I cannot explain.

I want to back up chatlogs from the Pidgin client, and what works
flawlessly is

rdiff-backup backup .purple /media/david/Backup Drive/.purple

I've written several folder names I want to back up (e.g. Desktop,
Documents...) into a file. Among them is also .purple.

As a terminal, I use fish.

for d in (cat /media/david/Backup Drive/backupdirs)

    rdiff-backup backup $d /media/david/Backup Drive/$d

end

works without a problem on several folders, also .thunderbird.

When the for loop comes to .purple, I get:

NOTE: Starting increment operation from source path .purple to
destination path /media/david/Backup Drive/.purple
ERROR: Either there is more than one current_mirror or the last backup
is not in the past. Aborting.
ERROR: Action backup failed on step run

There is only one current_mirror file in .purple/rdiff-backup-data, and
the last backup definitively is in the past.

As I said above, running one backup alone:

rdiff-backup backup .purple /media/david/Backup Drive/.purple

without the for loop happens without any problems.

I'm really, really, really at the end of my wits.

With the best regards,

David