Re: rdiff-backup keeps crashing when trying to save files on nextcloud s

From: EricZolf
Subject: Re: rdiff-backup keeps crashing when trying to save files on nextcloud server via webdav
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 08:23:16 +0200

Hi,

On 14/09/2023 19:27, Veit Held via Any discussion of rdiff-backup wrote:

I am currently trying to backup my files to a cloud storage space, which is on a managed nextcloud server. The provider does not offer any ssh-connection, instead I have to use the webdav protocol. Now I have big problems, because the backup keeps crashing. The process quits with a whole bunch of confusing error messages, like "[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/crash/_usr_bin_rdiff-backup.1000.crash'" or "OSError: [Errno 5] Input/output error."

The attached file shows both the output to the terminal (rows 1-102) and the content of the logfile which I produced by adding the "> protocol_14.9.2023.txt" suffix to the linux command line.

There is a backup.log also in the repository.

Is there any known reason why I cannot push my files to the server? I am running on version 2.0.5 as this is the version that Linux Mint has in the repository. My system is

This starts to be the issue, version 2.0 is rather old and current is 2.2. If you could update, that would help supporting you.

This said, even though 2.2 is more robust than 2.0, I see little chance that it will solve your issue. WebDAV is IMHO not a fully fledged file system and I'm even surprised that rdiff-backup doesn't fail on the file system check.

If you search for webdav and rsync, you'll find plenty of mixed experience reports (and rdiff-backup works similarly to rsync).

An "Input/output error" is originating at the file system level and isn't per se an rdiff-backup issue. It basically means that the file system is corrupt, or at least the specific file. You could try to remove it and try again your backup, but as said, it will always be a "Vabanquespiel" (dangerous game) in my opinion.

Personally, I simply sync my documents folder with Nextcloud using the desktop client. That works splendidly even between multiple desktop systems, but indeed this isn't a proper backup if this really what you need.

As a side note, the `Error in sys.excepthook:...` thingy looks like an error at Python level. That make me a bit wondering what else is special in your setup.

Sorry to not have better news, but I don't see any obvious solution for your problem.

KR, Eric

    Kernel: 5.15.0-83-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 5.6.8     tk: GTK 3.24.33 wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 21.1 Vera base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy

Veit