Re: Re: Spurious "more than one current_mirror" error

From: David Croll
Subject: Re: Re: Spurious "more than one current_mirror" error
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 18:29:03 +0200

Hi Eric,

I'm disturbed by the fact that the path contains a blank, but your commands
don't show any quoting or escaping. Is it really the whole command?
Fish has an auto-completion that, of course, escapes the spaces in file
and directory names.

Properly, the command is

for d in (cat /media/david/Backup\ 1\ TB/backupdirs)

    sudo rdiff-backup backup $d /media/david/Backup\ 1\ TB/$d

end

What does `cat "/media/david/Backup Drive/backupdirs"` actually show? Could it
be that it contains .purple multiple times?
cat /media..... shows this:

david@ASUS ~> cat /media/david/Backup\ 1\ TB/backupdirs
Desktop
Documents
Games
Music
Pictures/Zeichnen_und_Malen
Pictures/Memes
.purple
.mozilla
snap/firefox/common/.mozilla/firefox/onotah21.default-1528902033143
snap/firefox/common/.cache/mozilla/firefox/onotah21.default-1528902033143
Templates
.thunderbird
Videos

I checked the backupdirs file with a hex editor, and there are no
non-printable characters. ".purple" is preceded with 0A (end of line),
the . is 2E, and ".purple" is immediately followed by another 0A.

Using "sleep 2"

for d in (cat /media/david/Backup\ 1\ TB/backupdirs)

    sudo rdiff-backup backup $d /media/david/Backup\ 1\ TB/$d

    sleep 2

end

results in this, again:

NOTE: Starting increment operation from source path .purple to
destination path /media/david/Backup 1 TB/.purple
ERROR: Either there is more than one current_mirror or the last backup
is not in the past. Aborting.
ERROR: Action backup failed on step run

So super-disturbing that

david@ASUS ~> sudo rdiff-backup backup .purple /media/david/Backup\ 1\
TB/.purple
[sudo] password for david:
NOTE: Starting increment operation from source path .purple to
destination path /media/david/Backup 1 TB/.purple

always works.

The file system is btrfs (on both source and destination). Checking the
destination filesystem with gparted doesn't give me any error. Deleting
the rdiff-backup-data folder doesn't help. Deleting the entire contents
of .purple on the destination side and then, running the for loop, also
results in an error.

Perhaps the most disturbing discovery: Running rdiff-backup inside this
forloop, with an *empty* .purple directory on the source side, and a
non-existent .purple directory on the destination side, also results in
an error.

What the funk...

David