Re: On Frescobaldi

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: On Frescobaldi
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2019 22:29:47 -0500

On Mon 22 Apr 2019 at 12:31:54 (+1000), Andrew Bernard wrote:
> Dear Urs,
>
> On a different tack altogether, with the oll work, you have a usage file
> and a module.ily, so two files. In my Frescobaldi 3 on a brand new Ubuntu
> 19 installation (the latest release as of last week) it still shows the
> problem I mentioned a while ago where the output PDF is not updated after
> changes. This slowed me down a lot as I could not understand why my outline
> list code was not working. Reverting to my tried and true Gvim and PDF
> point and click works perfectly.  Previously I worked around this by
> putting all the work in one file.
>
> I'd like to file a bug report on, this, but I can't see a simple way to
> reprpduce the problem.
>
> Sounds like a really hard issue to me. I am very sorry to tell you that
> with the huge slowdown I see in my complex scores - metioned in the past as
> you know - and with this non-updating issue, I myself can no longer use
> Frescobaldi. it's a shame, as it is such a brilliant development
> environment.
>
> Hmm. What to do? I would not know how to solve this, even though I know
> Python very well.
>
> [I wonder if this is some sort of a buig with the PDF display not updating,
> perhaps some poppler file modification time issue?]

I've no idea if this is relevant, but one of my working practices
depends on the fact that xpdf does not update the display when the
underlying PDF changes unless you either (a) type r in the window
or (b) change page, zoom factor, or anything that requires consulting
the PDF file again.

Cheers,
David.