iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] FluidSynth release

From: Peter Hanappe
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] FluidSynth release
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 13:05:08 +0100

Josh Green wrote:
On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 09:46, Peter Hanappe wrote:

Here is a list of functions I use related to voices/mods/gens:

iiwu_mod_delete
iiwu_mod_new

Is it OK if I make the iiwu_mod_t structure opaque and define
accessor functions instead?

iiwu_synth_alloc_voice
iiwu_synth_start_voice
iiwu_voice_add_mod
iiwu_voice_gen_set
iiwu_voice_update_param

Can I remove "iiwu_voice_query_ID" and "iiwu_voice_gen_incr" from
the public header?

I did add "iiwu_voice_gen_get" as a complement to "iiwu_voice_gen_set".

Is there some other way to set mods/gens? It seems fairly necessary for
the sfloader API.

You can use "iiwu_synth_set_gen" but that's it.

I had a look over the public and private headers. Here are my findings:

One thing I noticed is that the LADSPA effect stuff is not public.
Sometime I'd like to add some GUI stuff to Swami for this. Should
iiwu_ladspa.h be made public?

I'd prefer if the LADSPA effects is not public right now. Markus is okay
to keep it accessible only through the command interface (see his last
mail) so that it fine with me. In the next version I'd like to make the
LADSPA effects more public, but I would like to redesign some of the
architecture.

Also, the private iiwu_settings.h contains functions for registering
parameters, do you think this might need to be accessed by
programs/plugins compiled outside of the FluidSynth source? I could see
a use for iiwu_num/str/int_update_t callbacks, if they are what I think
they are for. If there are multiple control paths to an instance of
FluidSynth it might be nice for programs to be able to monitor changes.

Right now, there are no programs/plugins compiled outside of the
FluidSynth source that could add settings. And this is okay for the
first version. In the next version, I'd like to open up the architecture
more and then it will become important.

iiwu_synth_get_settings() should be public? It might be nice to be able
to retrieve the settings for a synth that one did not create, or as a
convenience to not have to keep track of the settings structure used to
create a synth from.

Completely agree.

Public version information would be nice. Something like:
FLUID_VERSION       "1.0.0"
FLUID_VERSION_MAJOR 1
FLUID_VERSION_MINOR 0
FLUID_VERSION_MICRO 0

I have this for Swami, I just created a version.h.in and substitute the
autoconf variables at configure time to create version.h which gets
installed. Would you like me to do this for FluidSynth?

Yes we should make the version available. Please go ahead if you feel
like it.

Thanks, Josh!

Cheers,

Ciao,