iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] FluidSynth release

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] FluidSynth release
Date: 26 Feb 2003 12:31:03 -0800

On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 09:46, Peter Hanappe wrote:

> > Hmm, it worked fine for me. I just changed to the doc directory and ran
> > "doxygen". It created an "html" folder with the docs in it. Loading up
> > index.html, going to "File List" and then clicking on "synth.h" shows
> > all the routines, with documentation, that are contained in that header.
>
> !Your right! It's the "Alphabetic List" that threw me off. It only adds
> the structures and not the functions.

I think that threw me off as well the first time I was using doxygen for
Swami, I switched to gtk-doc since it has lots of nice features for the
GObject/GTK OO system.

> > Do let me know if there is something I can help with in getting
> > FluidSynth ready for release.
>
> If you like to, just run over the public API functions to see if there
> are any inconsistencies or unneeded stuff. In particular, do you still
> use the voice/mod/gen access functions?

Here is a list of functions I use related to voices/mods/gens:

iiwu_mod_delete
iiwu_mod_new
iiwu_synth_alloc_voice
iiwu_synth_start_voice
iiwu_voice_add_mod
iiwu_voice_gen_set
iiwu_voice_update_param

Is there some other way to set mods/gens? It seems fairly necessary for
the sfloader API.

I had a look over the public and private headers. Here are my findings:

One thing I noticed is that the LADSPA effect stuff is not public.
Sometime I'd like to add some GUI stuff to Swami for this. Should
iiwu_ladspa.h be made public?

Also, the private iiwu_settings.h contains functions for registering
parameters, do you think this might need to be accessed by
programs/plugins compiled outside of the FluidSynth source? I could see
a use for iiwu_num/str/int_update_t callbacks, if they are what I think
they are for. If there are multiple control paths to an instance of
FluidSynth it might be nice for programs to be able to monitor changes.

iiwu_synth_get_settings() should be public? It might be nice to be able
to retrieve the settings for a synth that one did not create, or as a
convenience to not have to keep track of the settings structure used to
create a synth from.

Public version information would be nice. Something like:
FLUID_VERSION       "1.0.0"
FLUID_VERSION_MAJOR 1
FLUID_VERSION_MINOR 0
FLUID_VERSION_MICRO 0

I have this for Swami, I just created a version.h.in and substitute the
autoconf variables at configure time to create version.h which gets
installed. Would you like me to do this for FluidSynth?

Ciao,
        Josh Green