iiwusynth-devel

[iiwusynth-devel] Re: CVS: Chorus API and command line, ltconfig problem

From: Josh Green
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] Re: CVS: Chorus API and command line, ltconfig problem after ./configure
Date: 03 Jun 2002 02:18:29 -0600

On Sun, 2002-06-02 at 08:45, M. Nentwig wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> now the chorus has command line control and an API interface.
> I have further fixed / tried to fix the problem, that './configure'
> required 'ltconfig ./ltmain.sh' to be run before make. 'libtoolize -f'
> in autogen.sh creates symlinks for config.guess, config.sub and
> ltmain.sh. Therefore, these three files are now deleted from CVS.
> Please try, if
> ./autogen.sh
> ./configure
> make
> make install
> works properly and let me know, if there are still problems (or new
> problems...).

Did a clean checkout and found that there were no problems :) I did
notice that it output this warning during ./autogen.sh though:
"You should add the contents of `/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to
`aclocal.m4'." Probably want to put the 'libtoolize -f' after aclocal?
Or does it even need to be in there? I wish I was more sure of the whole
libtool/automake/autoconf thing. I always feel like I'm a dirty hacker.

> About the chorus: The command line interface has now functions to set
> the chorus parameters.
> Internally, the number of samples for interpolation is just high enough
> to keep aliasing inaudible at the default setting (to use as little CPU
> time as possible). More 'drastic' chorus settings are possible, but the
> current chorus may produce audible aliasing - the notorious
> spaceship-landing-sound. It's easy to fix this - increase the number of
> interpolation samples in iiwu_chorus.c.

I gave the new chorus a listen. Sounds a lot better (in regards to the
slow pulsing sound). It would be nice to compare the Reverb and Chorus
to other SoundFont devices. I think the default Reverb is a bit weak. I
like to tweak the parameters till I get a nice grungy kill your neighbor
with distortion sound and then add a touch of real time Filter FC to
taste :)

> Some hardcoded chorus presets might be useful; send me your
> good-sounding parameter combinations!

In regards to iiwusynth Reverb/Chorus presets. It would be nice to have
access to these via an API that has a description of the preset. The
common MIDI Reverb/Chorus presets could then be created (not sure what
standard they are a part of though). Swami would then have its own
presets to allow the user to roll his/her own.

> Cheers
>
> Markus

Cheers
        Josh Green