iiwusynth-devel

Re: [Fwd: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] update and todo list]

From: Tim Goetze
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] update and todo list]
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 10:09:51 +0200 (CEST)

Bob Ham wrote:

[...]

>iiwusynth stack (in fact, switching between stacks is what I'm
>thinking.) That would allow you to use soundfonts whose presets
>overlap.  At the moment, I'm think of doing it outside of iiwusynth, in
>the plugin.  My concern is that there will be one iiwu engine running
>for each soundfont, which seems like unnecessary CPU usage.   I assume
>it would be possible to do it within iiwusynth, but I don't know the
>code, so I'm throwing it out there as a request to put on the TODO list
>:)

i'm linking against libiiwusynth and using more than one iiwusynth
instance, with chorus and reverb applied within my own code, if at
all. on this 450 MHz k6-III, the cpu usage of one instance with no
voices playing is about 1.5 % cpu, with iiwu_synth_write_float called
every 64 audio frames. imo it's not too much.

>Also, ideally, I'd be able to have individual sound outputs (ie, many
>calls of iiwu_synth_write_*, or equivalent,) one for each of the 16
>channels, or perhaps arbitrarily many channels, with alsa seq ports
>added as required.

individual, per-channel (=per-preset) output is something i'd love to
have, too. it'd be a whole lot nicer than starting more than one
instance to get individual audio signals. (mono outputs would be nice,
too, but i fear this is going a little too deep conceptually).

cheers,

tim