iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] CVS: Chorus API and command line, ltconfig problem

From: Peter Hanappe
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] CVS: Chorus API and command line, ltconfig problem after ./configure
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 00:07:59 +0200

M. Nentwig wrote:
Hello all,

Hi Markus,

now the chorus has command line control and an API interface.

Great!

I have further fixed / tried to fix the problem, that './configure'
required 'ltconfig ./ltmain.sh' to be run before make. 'libtoolize -f'
in autogen.sh creates symlinks for config.guess, config.sub and
ltmain.sh. Therefore, these three files are now deleted from CVS.
Please try, if
./autogen.sh
./configure
make
make install
works properly and let me know, if there are still problems (or new
problems...).

Completely agree on the libtoolize stuff.
Did you add libtoolize in autogen.sh? I did find it so I added it
in CVS.

About the chorus: The command line interface has now functions to set
the chorus parameters.
Internally, the number of samples for interpolation is just high enough
to keep aliasing inaudible at the default setting (to use as little CPU
time as possible). More 'drastic' chorus settings are possible, but the
current chorus may produce audible aliasing - the notorious
spaceship-landing-sound. It's easy to fix this - increase the number of
interpolation samples in iiwu_chorus.c.

I saw you've been doing major changes on the chorus stuff. That means
it probably works now! I haven't tested it yet but will do the coming
week as I prepare for LinuxTag. I made some small esthetic changes
(formatting). Hope you don't mind.

I wondered if we could reuse the resampling technique used in the oscillator for the sample interpolation in the variable delay line.
The oscillator uses a four point interpolation. The fractional part
of the delay is mapped to an index between 0 and 256. The index is
then used to look up the interpolation coefficients in a table.
I'll try to take some more time to analyze the code of the chorus
module to see if it's worth considering.

Some hardcoded chorus presets might be useful; send me your
good-sounding parameter combinations!

Yes, it will be good to have presets.

Cheers

Cheers for all the improvements!