RE: [Help-gnu-radius] gnu radius ip address pool

From: Ebejer Mark
Subject: RE: [Help-gnu-radius] gnu radius ip address pool
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:46:46 +0100

Thanks Maurice, it is now clear...

Regards,

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Maurice Makaay [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: 16 January 2004 12:33
To: Ebejer Mark
Cc: Sergey Poznyakoff; Scicluna Ryan; Arrigo Edward;
address@hidden; Cumbo Adrian

Mark,

> Another question however before I try this out. My aim is to give out
ip
> addresses from a pool defined on the radius server i.e. the radius
> server and not the NAS will assign the ip addresses. So how can I
define
> this pool range ex from 10.15.1.0 to 10.15.1.255 ?

If you are using the '+' notation like this:

DEFAULT ...
        Framed-IP-Address = 10.15.1.0+ ...

you will be assigning IP-addresses from 10.15.1.0 up to the number of
ports
on your NAS. The '+' notation means that the nas port is added to the
starting IP-address to compute the IP-address to assign. If you have 255
NAS-ports, the range will be as you requested for.

If you can use this method to assign IP-addresses, I would recommend to
do
so, because you won't have to worry about assigning the same IP-address
to two users which are both active. You'll always know that only one
user
can use one NAS-port at a time, so adding the NAS-port number to the
IP-address
is guaranteed safe.

Regards,

-- Maurice Makaay

This email is intended only for the use of the individual to whom it is
addressed. As it may contain confidential or privileged information, if you are
not a named addressee, intended recipient, or the person responsible for
delivering the message to the named addressee, be advised that you have
received this email in error and that you should not disseminate, distribute,
print, copy this mail or otherwise divulge its contents. In such instances,
please notify Vodafone Malta Limited by sending an email to address@hidden and
delete this email from your system.
Since this transmission was effected via email, Vodafone Malta Limited cannot
guarantee that it is secure or error-free as information could be intercepted,
corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.
Vodafone Malta Limited does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in
the contents of this message which arise as a result of email transmission.