Re: [Help-gnu-radius] gnu radius ip address pool

From: Maurice Makaay
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] gnu radius ip address pool
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:33:12 +0100

Mark,

> Another question however before I try this out. My aim is to give out ip
> addresses from a pool defined on the radius server i.e. the radius
> server and not the NAS will assign the ip addresses. So how can I define
> this pool range ex from 10.15.1.0 to 10.15.1.255 ?

If you are using the '+' notation like this:

DEFAULT ...
        Framed-IP-Address = 10.15.1.0+ ...

you will be assigning IP-addresses from 10.15.1.0 up to the number of ports
on your NAS. The '+' notation means that the nas port is added to the
starting IP-address to compute the IP-address to assign. If you have 255
NAS-ports, the range will be as you requested for.

If you can use this method to assign IP-addresses, I would recommend to do
so, because you won't have to worry about assigning the same IP-address
to two users which are both active. You'll always know that only one user
can use one NAS-port at a time, so adding the NAS-port number to the IP-address
is guaranteed safe.

Regards,

-- Maurice Makaay