Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Radius Not responding

From: Sergey Poznyakoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Radius Not responding
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:09:04 +0300

Bob Robichaud <address@hidden> wrote:

> The radius server is now responding, not authenticating though.
> I got a Maximum number of children active error due to the fact that when I
> rebooted NAS with the new config to use new radius server there were people
> already logged on from a previous session on our old radius which caused NAS
> wrong order and duplicate errors.

"Maximum number of children" indicates that all subprocesses are busy
handling incoming requests. This usually means (1) either that the number
of subprocesses set in raddb/config is too low, or (2) there is some
bottleneck in your authentication/accounting methods that slows it down
considerably (it could be a heavily loaded accounting database,
an ineffectively written external procedure that uses some locks...
well, you've got the idea).

> My question is would Maximum number of children active cause the error
> Invalid user [joe], CLID unknown

No. This error means that hte user "joe" is not in your authentication
database.

> I have increased the max-processes to 48

That should suffice for most configurations.

Regards,
Sergey